Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 14, 2012

HIJAB? NO! HERMÈS.





I have a French passport. So, yes, I am from a country where you can show your boobs in public, but you are not allowed to cover your face!

Now, I know, easy jab, here, pun intended! I do not really want to talk about  the Burkha  today, but about the Hijab. The Hijab is a scarf, worn by some Muslim women, to protect their modesty, by covering their hair and neck.

A lot of well meaning Westerners (I am sure that I sound patronising- I always found well meaning people tiresome, they mess up your life and still you have to say thank you)  look at this sartorial choice as a sign of female repression by the all dominant males. The choiceless females are thus subjected to this process of deinvidualisation and dehumanisation. Well, after many years in the Middle East, I cannot say that I have seen much of that.

So, what have I seen and understood? I want to first point out that this blog post is not the product of formal research, has no authoritative value. It is only my personal opinion, keeping in mind that I am what I am, a well travelled, open minded Westerner, and a committed Christian. No more, no less.

First observation: most covered women I know, do so by their own choice. Many Westerners are not religious and consequently have little insight, let alone sympathy,  into any spiritual behaviour. As a committed Christian, I have no problem relating to the concepts of a veil as a gift to God, of a veil as a Holiness protection (in Judeo-Christian theology, Holy means “set apart for God”), as a liberation (as you feel righteous and protected from some wordly temptations) which allows you to focus on what is truly important and what you have set yourself to achieve. I wear a cross around my neck, with devotion and pride, they wear a scarf around their head, probably with devotion and pride. Christians fast during Lent as a gift to God, a sign of their commitment. Wearing a veil, from what I understand, would be the same idea.

Second observation: the veil is only worn in public. The idea is that only your husband should be able to enjoy your beauty, symbolised by your hair. Well, it is difficult to find an argument against that… After all, this supports the family values that the West cherishes but is incapable of preventing their slipping away.

Thirdly, many Westerners wear scarves. I do! I am the proud owner of 4 Carrés Hermès, and I love them! I have tried to wear them Hijab style, oops, Grace Kelly style, many times, and the only reason why I don’t is that they slip off and won’t stay in place! Grace Kelly must have superglued hers! Catholic Nuns, Hollywood stars, my grandmother who used to run a corner shop in the French Alps, brides… many people wear scarves over their head!
Lastly, I am sure that some women are forced by their father, brother or husband to wear a Hijab, or a Burkha. But, if I am going to be a Westerner, I have to be an honest one: these cases have nothing much to do with religion. I believe they are a form a domestic violence, and should be treated as such. Once again, my opinion.

No doubt the debate will go on and on… and if any Hijab wearing lady out there can give me a tip on how to wear my Hermès Squares of rich, colourful silk, please use the comment section! thank you!



WOMAN'S VEIL IN THE BIBLE (not only in Islam)

1 Corin. 11:5 

But any woman who prays and prophecies with her head unveiled dishonours her head - it is the same as if her head were shaven, for if a woman will not veil herself then she should cut off her hair. But if it is disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil. JUDGE FOR YOURSELVES; is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 

(It seems that Christians are unaware of the obligation of the veil in the Bible, which made me put their verses in this book, and for those who attack the veil in Islam should notice these verses of their own Bible, and notice also this verse "Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get.)

No comments:

Post a Comment